Children’s Centres have a Community Development Coordinator who is available to support and encourage parents and families to actively participate in all aspects of the centre.
Community Development Coordinators also partner with other agencies to plan and organise a range of programs including:
• Playgroups for parents and carers including Aboriginal families, dads, step-parents, grandparents, foster carers, family day care educators, refugees and newly arrived families and children.
• Parenting programs: child development, early literacy, song time, music and movement, baby massage, support groups and cooking.
• Community events: family fun days, community lunches, school holiday programmes cultural events, celebrations and BBQs.
• Personal development: literacy, career pathways, skill development, volunteering and adult education.
• Parents and Community: centre volunteer program, a Parent Advisory Group, engaging parents in the community.
Community Development Events
|Event Name||Event Date||Size||File Type|
|Allied Health Drop In and Chat||Thursdays by appointment||240 KB||Adobe PDF|
|Being with Baby||Thursdays from 29th April, 1:00 - 2:30pm||162 KB||Adobe PDF|
|Fun with Friends||Mondays from 3rd May, 9:00 - 11:00am||487 KB||Adobe PDF|
|The wonderful world of toddlers||Wednesday 12th May, 9:30 - 11:30am||334 KB||Adobe PDF|
|PJ Story Night||Wednesday 19th May, 6:30 - 7:30pm||788 KB||Adobe PDF|
|Passport to Play!||Wednesdays from 19th May, 10:00 - 11:30am||621 KB||Adobe PDF|
|Getting ready for Mealtimes||Wednesday 16th June, 6:30 - 8:30pm||121 KB||Adobe PDF|
At the Children’s Centre we value your contributions and encourage you to be actively involved in your child’s learning. If you have some spare time and would like to spend it at the Centre please do not hesitate to do so. You may like to share some of your special talents with the children (art, craft, sewing, musical, cooking), play a board game with a small group of children, read a story, support children on the computer or spend some time playing with your child and getting to know his/her friends.
We also have an active ‘Governing Council’. Meetings are held approximately once a month at the Children’s Centre. At these meetings we share information about what the children have been doing at the Centre, learning programs and new developments within the Department of Education. Financial reports are shared including details of what the money is being spent on and the allocation of funds for special projects. Many decisions are made ranging from reviewing Policies and Procedures to the reviewing of fees etc. These meetings are a good avenue for parents to suggest ideas about what they would like to see happening. If you can spare some time to attend a meeting or would like to hear more about what’s happening at the Centre and would like to be involved with decision making and policy development, please speak to a staff member and/ or come along to the next scheduled meeting.
If you are interested in joining the Governing Council, please see one of the staff who will put you in touch with the appropriate people.